What Is Antibiotic Resistance?
When bacteria become resistant to an antibiotic and the antibiotic is no longer able to effectively kill or control the bacterial growth, it is called antibiotic resistance.
What Are The Symptoms Of Antibiotic Resistance?
When antibiotic stops working on a bacteria, the disease keeps coming back.
What Are The Causes Of Antibiotic Resistance?
The main cause of antibiotic resistance is indiscriminate use of antibiotics. Antibiotics should be used only in extreme conditions and only on the advice of a doctor. Self-medication may lead to serious implications.
What Are The Things One Should Do To Manage Antibiotic Resistance?
- If your doctor has advised you to drink milk, keep a gap of minimum two hours between antibiotic and milk/ dairy products.
What Are The Things One Should Avoid To Manage Antibiotic Resistance?
- You should never take antibiotics on your own, without doctor’s advice.
- Taking antibiotics too frequently can not only cause resistance to antibiotics but also lead to many other long term complications. Hence, antibiotics should be used when it is extremely important.
- Complete the course of antibiotic once started. Never leave it incomplete even if you see the improvement in the middle of treatment.
- Don't eat anything with iron or calcium at the same time when you are taking the antibiotic because these minerals can result in poor absorption.
What Are The Best Foods For Antibiotic Resistance?
- Yogurt is the most famous probiotic food, and one the best foods to eat while taking antibiotics.
- Garlic, a great source of prebiotics, is good food to eat after a course of antibiotics.
- Finely ground almonds.
- Vitamin K: found in asparagus, Leafy green vegetables, green tea.
- Whole grains and green vegetables like broccoli.
What Are The Worst Foods For Antibiotic Resistance?
Following foods may interfere with proper absorption of antibiotics, hence should be avoided:
- Acidic foods like orange juice, tomato sauce, citrus fruits and soda.
- Sugary foods.
- All dairy products except yogurt.
- Alcohol, as it can cause side effects like dizziness, gastrointestinal problems.
What Are The Medicines For Antibiotic Resistance?
What Are The Tips To Manage Antibiotic Resistance?