What Is Arthritis?
- Arthritis is a name collectively given to the various types of joint pains (over 100 types). Permanent changes can occur to the joints due to arthritis and a few types of arthritis can also damage the lungs, kidneys, heart, eyes, or skin.
What Are The Symptoms Of Arthritis?
- The most common symptoms are pain and swelling of joints, joints getting stiff and reduced range of movements.
What Are The Causes Of Arthritis?
- The cause behind arthritis depends on the type of arthritis. The causes may range from injury, genetic factors, infections, misdirected immune system with autoimmunity. Though more common among adults, but people of any age can suffer from Arthritis.
What Are The Things One Should Do To Manage Arthritis?
- People 50+: Skin’s ability capacity to absorb Vitamin D reduces with age. Hence, there is more need of taking Vitamin D supplements.
- Manage your weight as obese people are more prone to getting vitamin D deficiency.
- Eat foods naturally rich in vitamin D.
- Maintain weight
- Regular Exercise
- Massaging painful joints and muscles
What Are The Things One Should Avoid To Manage Arthritis?
- Don’t wear flip-flops or uncomfortable footwear.
- Don’t stay indoors for long periods.
- Do not go out in sun with screen applied as it blocks the absorption of vitamin D through skin.
- Do not have any shield between you and sun rays (like glass window) as it blocks the absorption of Vitamin D by skin. Let sun ray fall directly on your skin.
What Are The Best Foods For Arthritis?
To maintain good joint condition have:
- Fish: The omega-3 fatty acids present in fish reduce body’s inflammatory response thus decreasing pain
- Nuts and seeds: Many nuts contain nutrients that inhibit the growth of free radicals that damage cartilage. These are also rich in omega-3 fatty acids that decrease inflammation.
- Fruits and vegetables: These naturally contain inflammation fighters that reduce pain.
- Olive oil: It is high in mono-saturated fats, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant compounds which decrease the joint damage in arthritis.
- Whole grains ( These lower the level of C-reactive protein: CRP, associated with inflammation).
- Beans (Help in lowering CRP)
- Soy: These have low fat content, high protein and fibre content and is great for rheumatoid arthritis
- Low-fat dairy products (Calcium and Vitamin D present in dairy products increase bone strength.
- Green tea (Reduces inflammation and slows down cartilage destruction).
What Are The Worst Foods For Arthritis?
- Avoid nightshade vegetables: Nightshade vegetables are like: tomatoes, white potatoes, eggplant, okra, peppers, tomatillos etc. The chemical solanine present in these leads to pain.
- Fried and Processed foods: Reducing these foods can decrease the inflammation at joints and can help regain body’s natural defence.
- Advanced glycation end product (toxin present in the heated, grilled, fried or pasteurized food). These result in inflammation.
- Sugars and Refined carbs increase the Advanced Glycation End product that worsens arthritis
- Alcohol and Tobacco: Alcohol increases the risk of gout and smoking leads to rheumatoid arthritis
- Salt & Preservatives: These lead to the inflammation of joints.
What Are The Medicines For Arthritis?
What Are The Tips To Manage Arthritis?
- Therapies like acupuncture and aromatherapy can help.
- Avoid substance use like smoking, alcohol.
- If you have a family history of osteoporosis, you need to take extra care of yourself at younger age.
- Make exercise a habit.