What Is Altitude sickness?
The altitude sickness happens when someone experiences a rapid ascent to higher altitudes. The decrease in the amount of oxygen in the atmosphere at high altitudes causes this problem.
There are three types of altitude sicknesses:
- The acute altitude or mountain sickness.
- High altitude pulmonary edema.
- High altitude cerebral edema.
What Are The Symptoms Of Altitude sickness?
- Loss of appetite.
- Late symptoms
- Extreme fatigue.
- Breathing problem.
- Cerebral oedema
What Are The Causes Of Altitude sickness?
There are a few reasons why this issue can get triggered:
- Rapid ascends to the higher altitudes.
- Experiencing overexertion within 24 hours of your ascent.
- Not having adequate fluids.
- Experiencing hypothermia.
- Consuming alcohol.
What Are The Things One Should Do To Manage Altitude sickness?
- Consult a doctor before the ascent and get prescribed acetazolamide, to prevent the acute altitude sickness.
- Whenever traveling above 2,500 meters, always take a break from one or two days in between.
- Stop the ascent until the symptoms go away.
- Try to keep one’s body warm and take proper rest.
- Consider coming down from the high altitudes.
- Ensure proper fluid availability in one’s body.
- Take low salt food.
What Are The Things One Should Avoid To Manage Altitude sickness?
- Don’t use sleeping pills or any other pills that lower the central nervous system.
- Do not exert one’s body for at least 24 hours.
What Are The Best Foods For Altitude sickness?
- Few staple foods that are good for preventing altitude sickness are avocado, broccoli, tomatoes, dried fruits, celery, banana, potatoes, cantaloupe, bran, granola, greens, dates, mushrooms, and chocolate. These foods are potassium rich food that helps in acclimating.
- Include a lot of whole grains, fruits, pasta, and vegetables in your diet. These are complex carbohydrate that helps in maintaining blood sugar and energy level.
What Are The Worst Foods For Altitude sickness?
- Alcohol and caffeine make the body dehydrated, causing altitude sickness.
- Food with high salt content is not , in the case of altitude sickness because it makes the body dehydrated.
- Do not ingest junk food or oily food as these foods are hard to digest.
What Are The Medicines For Altitude sickness?
What Are The Tips To Manage Altitude sickness?
Keep one’s body well hydrated.