What Is Breast cancer?
After a woman reaches her puberty, her breast develops connective tissues, thousands of lobules (small glands, which produce breastfeeding milk) and fat. There are small ducts or tubes that transfer the milk to the nipples. The body cells uncontrollably multiply, in cancer. This excessive growth of cells causes cancer. The types of breast cancers are:
- Lobular carcinoma: This type of cancer is started from the lobules.
- Ductal carcinoma: This cancer begins from the milk duct, and it is the most prevalent type of cancer.
- Invasive breast cancer: In this type, the cells of cancer break out inside the ducts or lobules and infect nearby tissues, which increase the chances of spreading the infection to other body parts.
- Non-invasive breast cancer: In this cancer, the infection is inside the place from where it started, and still It hasn't broken out, but gradually there is a chance of developing the invasive breast cancer.
What Are The Symptoms Of Breast cancer?
The first and foremost sign of breast cancer is the formation of a swollen tissue in the breast, or a lump is formed in the breast, or armpit.
- Few other signs of breast cancer are:
- Skin of the breast may become red along with the small pits like in orange's skin.
- An appearance of rashes on and around the nipples.
- Breasts' shape and size may change.
- Nipples become inverted or sunken.
- Sometimes, Blood containing discharge may ooze out of the nipples.
- Skin of the nipple or breast may start to scale, peel or flake.
- Most of the lumps may not be cancerous, but one must get them examined by health experts.
What Are The Causes Of Breast cancer?
The exact cause of breast cancer is still unknown. The only known fact about breast cancer causes due to the damage of the DNA of the cells.
Some of the factors that increase the risk of breast cancer are:
- Obesity: Obese women are more prone to develop breast cancer.
- Genetic reasons: History of breast cancer running in one’s family can be one of the causes of breast cancer.
- Exposure to radiations: If some kind of radiation treatment is received in one’s chest in childhood, then there are more chances of developing breast cancer.
- Alcohol consumption: Too much of alcohol consumption can cause breast cancer.
- Smoking: Smoking can also increase the chances of breast cancer.
- Starting of the periods at an early age: When periods begin before the age of 12, there are more chances of developing breast cancer.
- Delaying of the menopause: women with delayed menopause are at a risk of breast cancer.
- Certain inherited genes: Few gene mutations like BRCA1 and BRCA2 can increase the chances of breast and other cancers. These gene mutations are carried from parents to the children.
- Having late Pregnancy: Women who deliver the baby after the age of 30 may develop the chances of having breast cancer.
- No pregnancy at all: If a woman never gets pregnant then they may suffer from breast cancer.
What Are The Things One Should Do To Manage Breast cancer?
Preventive tips for the breast cancer are:
- One must follow an exercise routine including yoga: A well-planned exercise routine may reduce the risk of breast cancer. Exercise can increase the ratio of bad (16alpha_hydroxyestrone) to good (2-hydroxyestrine) and changes the metabolism of estrogen in one's body.
- Yoga helps to regulate and balance one's hormones and endocrine system. It also helps to develop the immune system and to increase the flow of the lymph. Increased lymph flow is necessary for the drainage of the toxin from the armpits and breast.
- Self-examine and massage your breast: The first step in finding out breast cancer is finding a lump in breast or armpit by massaging them.
- Maintain fat and the right composition of the body: Visceral adipose tissue and obesity can cause extreme inflammation, which can lead to breast cancer. Hence, the target should be the reduction of the fat by the help of an expert who has complete knowledge of lifestyle changing therapies.
- Try to reduce other causes of inflammation in one's body: Get tested for food allergies and remove those food items from one’s foods list. As allergic foods may cause inflammation, which increases the risk of breast cancer. Also, get examined for certain chronic infections in sinuses, mouth, and guts and get them treat.
- Inflammation weakens the immune system which results in an in increase of the cancer cells.
- Breastfeed your baby: Breastfeeding can lower the chances of breast cancer.
- Sleep well: According to a few studies women sleeping less develops the chances of breast cancer hence, it is very important to take an undisturbed and good sleep of at least 7-8 hours per day.
What Are The Things One Should Avoid To Manage Breast cancer?
Things one must avoid while suffering from breast cancer or to prevent it are:
- Do not smoke: According to a study published in The National Cancer Journal Institute in 2013, the people with smoking habit are at higher risk of breast cancer by 24% and people who have left smoking are at a higher risk of breast cancer by 13% than the people who do not smoke.
- Do not use toxic products like:
- Plastics containing BPA, which is used for packing and storing water and food.
- Perfumes and personal care products contain hormone disturbing chemicals such as parabens and phthalates.
- Some household chemicals used for cleaning like insecticides and pesticides.
What Are The Best Foods For Breast cancer?
What one eats reflects in his/her health conditions. A few foods that fight and prevent breast cancer are as follows:
- Turmeric: It is a spice, which gives a yellow color to the curries. It consists of a chemical known as curcumin. Studies have shown that curcumin combined with some therapies based on drugs helps to fight against tumors and breast cancer. Turmeric has an anti-inflammatory effect that lowers the chance of breast cancer.
- Broccoli: Broccoli helps in reducing the growth of a tumor. It is one of the most preferred food for treating breast cancer. One can also include few other vegetables in their diet like cabbage, kale, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts. People who have breast cancer are advised to consume at least one of these vegetables every day to get the results.
- Garlic: Adding garlic to the food has many benefits and it also helps to treat breast cancer. Garlic regulates the cell cycling (it is a process in which normal cell becomes cancerous). There is a component present in garlic which is known as allyl sulfide. This component is responsible for blocking of the healthy cells to become cancerous. This component Allyl sulfide is found in the whole onion family, hence their consumption can greatly help to fight breast cancer.
- Apples: Skin of an apple has a lot of fiber, antioxidants, and other compounds needed for fighting with cancer. One need not consume an exotic variety of apples; the easily available basic apple can be consumed for preventing cancer.
- Omega 3 rich foods: Including omega 3 fatty acids in one’s diet can reduce the risk of breast cancer. Some omega 3 fatty acids rich foods are Walnut, sea bass, tuna, sea bass, salmon, fish oil, and eggs.
- Flaxseed: Flaxseeds consist of a component known as lignans, which decreases the multiplication of cancer causing cells. Therefore, flaxseed is considered one of the best diets for treating breast cancer. One can grind it to make a flour like powder.
- Soybeans: Soybeans contain a compound, which is like estrogen that helps in treating breast cancer. Therefore, consuming soybeans can be considered for Preventing and curing breast cancer.
- Berries: Most of the berries consist of nutrients like minerals, antioxidants and vitamin in high amount hence, can help in preventing breast cancer. Berries like, black berry, raspberry, strawberry and blue berry can be consumed to treat breast cancer, but the most beneficial one is Blueberry. Blueberry enhances the role of the drug called tamoxifen that is mostly prescribed when fighting with breast cancer.
- Green Tea: Green tea has a component known as catechin, which helps in preventing breast cancer.
- Extra virgin olive oil: It is packed with phytonutrients and antioxidants that inhibit the growth of a tumor. Extra virgin olive oil has a high amount of monounsaturated fats, which do not oxidize in one’s body. Free radicals and chemicals that increase the risk of breast cancer are produced by the oxidation process. Therefore, Extra virgin olive oil is one of the best oils to use for cooking. Also, it is good for overall health.
What Are The Worst Foods For Breast cancer?
Foods that may affect the breast cancer adversely are:
- Sweet foods: Women who consume more sweets are prone to 27% higher chances of developing breast cancer than the ones who eat fewer sweets. Refined carbohydrate, which is present in sweets increases the blood glucose level because of which more insulin is released. Insulin promotes the growth of cancer cells that may cause breast cancer. Therefore, in order to prevent breast cancer, one must consume sweet food in less quantity. Few sweet foods that are bad are Carbonated sweet beverages, Packed juice, pastries, cakes, cookies, puddings, jam, etc.
- Processed meat: Some researchers have proved that the component used in processed meat like preservatives can develop the compounds, which increase the growth of the cancer cells. A few types of processed meats one should avoid are the hot dog, deli meat, ham, and bacon.
- Grapefruit: Grapefruit possibly elevates the estrogen level, which increases the risk of breast cancer. According to a research, a female who consumes a quarter of a grapefruit every day is at 30% higher risk of developing breast cancer than the ones who don’t consume grape fruit.
- Vegetable oils: Vegetable oil contains polyunsaturated fats that may result in an oxidation process in a body. Free radicals and few chemicals are produced during the oxidation process, which increases the risk of breast cancer. Few vegetable oils that one must not consume are soybean, corn, sunflower and safflower oil.
What Are The Medicines For Breast cancer?
What Are The Tips To Manage Breast cancer?