What Is Cataract?
In cataract, the natural lens of the eye (which lies behind pupil and iris) gets clouded. The lens is part of the eye, which helps to focus an image or light on the retina. In a normal eye, light passes through the transparent lens to the retina, where the light gets changed into nerve signals, which are sent to the brain. In order to receive a sharp image by the retina, the lens must be clear. If there is a cataract, the image formed is blurred. A cataract develops over the long period of time. The best way is to wait and watch, till it develops fully. Surgery is the most common treatment of cataract.
It occurs mostly in people above 40 years of age and is a main cause of blindness worldwide.
What Are The Symptoms Of Cataract?
- Blurry, foggy or cloudy vision.
- Near-sightedness (especially among older people).
- Problems with glares during the day, during driving at night.
- Glasses or contact lenses not working properly.
- Change in the way you see colors.
- Double vision (in affected eye).
What Are The Causes Of Cataract?
The lens in the eye is made mostly from water and protein. A cataract occurs when the lumps of protein start accumulating and clouding the lens. Some f the causes of cataract are:
- Age- related.
- Injury to the eye can also cause cataract.
- Congenital cataracts, which may be caused due to poor development in the womb, infection or injury during pregnancy. Such children are born with the cataract.
- Certain diseases like diabetes.
- Exposure to radiation, ultra violet rays, taking medicines like corticosteroids or diuretics.
What Are The Things One Should Do To Manage Cataract?
- Always wear sunglasses and wide hat to avoid effects of ultra violet sun rays.
- Keep your diabetes under control.
- Eye exercise for 15 minutes a day keeps eyes healthy for longer periods.
- Visit your eye specialist regularly to identify symptoms of cataract or any other eye problem.
What Are The Things One Should Avoid To Manage Cataract?
- Avoid taking corticosteroid for long periods.
- Avoid smoking as it results in increased risk of getting the cataract.
- Don’t eat junk food.
What Are The Best Foods For Cataract?
- Beta-carotene rich foods like kale, carrots, sweet potatoes, spinach, turnip and butternut squash are known to prevent cataract.
- 250 mg of daily vitamin C helps in slowing growth of cataract. Foods rich in vitamin C are oranges, guavas, dark leafy greens, bell peppers, broccoli, sprouts, kiwi, Brussels and papaya.
- Salmon, rich in astaxanthin.
- Green tea
- Walnuts, rich in anti-oxidants, omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin E.
- Carrots, rich in lutein.
- Avocados, rich in lutein, vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin E, and beta-carotene, — all helpful in preventing cataracts.
- Vitamin B2 and B 3 rich foods like lean beef, lamb, mushrooms, low-fat milk, chicken, kidney beans, peanuts.
- Vitamin A rich foods.
What Are The Worst Foods For Cataract?
All foods, which are not good for maintaining the healthy body, are prohibited for maintaining eye health also. The list of unhealthy foods is junk foods, caffeine, saturated fats, alcohol and fast foods etc.
What Are The Medicines For Cataract?
What Are The Tips To Manage Cataract?