What Is Chikungunya?
Chikungunya is a viral disease which is passed to humans by an infected female mosquito. It weakens your body and immune system. This disease is quite similar to dengue and Zika.
What Are The Symptoms Of Chikungunya?
Symptoms of Chikungunya can be seen usually after 6-7 days of being bitten by an infected mosquito. Common symptoms include-
- Chills, fever, flu, and joint pain.
- A headache, muscle pain, joint bulge, nausea, fatigue or rash.
What Are The Causes Of Chikungunya?
Chikungunya is basically caused by a virus, known as Buggy Creek Virus which is transmitted to your body after being bitten by the Aedes aegypti mosquito. This water develops mostly in fresh water, which is stored uncovered.
What Are The Things One Should Do To Manage Chikungunya?
- Get plenty of bed rest.
- Stay dehydrated all the time. Drink fluids with a normal diet.
- Stay active with the medication as prescribed by the doctor.
- Repeat blood tests every 2-3 days in order to make a note of the platelet count.
- Keep a detailed note of cleanliness in your surroundings.
- Use mosquito repellents.
What Are The Things One Should Avoid To Manage Chikungunya?
- Do not store fresh water in open in your surroundings.
- Do not delay the treatment.
- When diagnosed with Chikungunya, do not lead a normal lifestyle as it can be fatal and the chances of your recovery decrease.
- Avoid eating outside.
- Do not stay in contact with any place that has mosquitos breeding.
- Do not try to stay active and return to your normal lifestyle right after recovering from the infection.
What Are The Best Foods For Chikungunya?
- Coconut water- It helps in detoxification and fights infections and diseases.
- Vegetable soups and semi-liquid diets- It helps in the digestion.
- Green leafy vegetables- It contains vitamins and minerals that help in improving the immune power of the body.
- Vitamin Rich Foods-Apples, bananas, avocados, kiwi, guava, pomegranate, and oranges are rich in zinc, vitamin E, and vitamin C.
- Omega 3-rich foods-Such foods help in improving the immunity system of the body and help in fighting the disease. Foods rich in this ingredient include Pulses, flaxseeds, and walnuts.
- Selenium-rich foods-This trace mineral helps in keeping diseases like Chikungunya away. Brazil nuts, cabbage, Chia seeds, brown rice, and mushrooms have selenium in them.
What Are The Worst Foods For Chikungunya?
- Skip junk foods and saturated foods.It’s been found that these foods toxify the body, failing to improve the immune system.
- Uncovered foods- Avoid consuming foods kept in open.
- Stale foods-Such foods are prone to spread chikungunya virus more among hosts who consume them. So, it is better to avoid them.
What Are The Medicines For Chikungunya?
What Are The Tips To Manage Chikungunya?
- Guduchi or Giloy wood is considered wonder home remedy to prevent and treat any kind of fever. During the monsoon season, when an outbreak of seasonal fevers is expected, one should boil 2-3 sticks of glory wood in water and drink it. It helps in both: prevention as well as cure of any kind of fever.
- Make sure you put enough measures to prevent and control the breeding sites of mosquitoes Spray insecticides to kill mosquitoes and take proper care of the water bodies in your surroundings.