What Is Constipation?
Constipation is a condition in which there is difficulty in emptying the bowels, usually associated with hardened faeces.
What Are The Symptoms Of Constipation?
- Passing 3 or fewer stools in a week.
- Hard, lumpy stools.
- Difficulty in bowel movements.
- Feeling of blockage in the rectum.
What Are The Causes Of Constipation?
Constipation can be caused by any of the following reasons:
- Changes in your usual diet or activities.
- Antacid medicines containing calcium, iron or aluminium.
- Colon cancer.
- Eating a lot of dairy products.
- Eating disorders. Eating too much of junk food, white bread.
- Irritable bowel syndrome.
- Neurological conditions such as Parkinson's disease or multiple sclerosis.
- Not being active.
What Are The Things One Should Do To Manage Constipation?
- Constipation is usually caused by wrong food habits, which disturb the digestion system of the body. Apart from that, try the following:
- Exercise for at least 30 minutes a day, as it helps in digesting the food faster.
- If you are taking any iron supplement, pl. ask your doctor to change it. Most of the iron supplements cause constipation.
What Are The Things One Should Avoid To Manage Constipation?
- Don’t over use laxatives as these can cause hard to treat constipation.
- Don’t have a lifestyle of less physical activity.
- Never ignore the urge to go to the toilet.
What Are The Best Foods For Constipation?
- Certain changes in the eating habits can save you from constipation. Add the following in your daily diet:
- Drink lots of water. Take extra 3-4 glasses every day.
- Eat fibrous food. Eating whole fruit is always better than taking juices, as fruit pulp has more fibre.
- Pop corns, Groundnuts
- Peaches, apples, plums, pears, strawberries, blueberries, papaya,
- Dried fruits
- Beans, Broccoli
What Are The Worst Foods For Constipation?
Avoid cheese and dairy items
- Fried foods
- Red meat
- Frozen food
- Unripe banana
- Processed food
What Are The Medicines For Constipation?
What Are The Tips To Manage Constipation?
- Store half a litre of water in the copper jug overnight and drink it empty stomach in morning. This helps in getting rid of every type of constipation. Continue it for a week or a month, depending on the severity of your problem.
- Take one spoon of Isabel in hot milk every day till you get rid of constipation.