What Is Erectile dysfunction/ Impotence?
- Erectile dysfunction, also sometimes referred to as impotence, is the inability to get or keep an erection firm enough to have sexual intercourse.
What Are The Symptoms Of Erectile dysfunction/ Impotence?
- Soft erection
- Sexual dysfunction
- Reduced sex drive
- Trouble maintaining erection
What Are The Causes Of Erectile dysfunction/ Impotence?
The common causes of impotence are:
- Endocrine Diseases like diabetes. The body’s endocrine system produces hormones, which regulate sexual function, metabolism, reproduction, mood etc.
- Neurological and nerve disorders like Alzheimer’s disease, brain or spinal tumours, Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, temporal lobe epilepsy. Several neurologic conditions may increase the risk of impotence. Nerve conditions are responsible for brain’s ability to communicate with the reproductive system, which can, in turn, prevent a person from achieving an erection.
- Taking certain medications may affect blood flow that can lead to ED.
- Depression, anxiety, emotional disturbance.
- Certain cardiac conditions that affect heart’s ability to pump blood. A person can’t achieve the erection, without enough blood flow to the penis.
What Are The Things One Should Do To Manage Erectile dysfunction/ Impotence?
- Erectile dysfunction (ED) can take a big toll on your relationship. Hence, it is very important to handle it carefully with both the partners supporting each other.
- The majority of cases of erectile dysfunction occur due to psychological reasons like lack of confidence, depression etc.. Hence, it is important to consult a psychologist (together as a couple).
- It is important for both the partners to discuss it freely and find out the ways to make life more enjoyable.
- It is important for men suffering from ED to feel irritated, agitated and eventually leading to clinical depression. Hence, maintaining positivity in the relationship is extremely important.
- Certain medications also can cause ED, hence check your list of medications and consult your doctor.
What Are The Things One Should Avoid To Manage Erectile dysfunction/ Impotence?
- Do not shout at or make fun of your partner if he is suffering from ED.
- Avoid stress as it is one of the major causes of ED.
- Stop drinking and smoking.
- The anxiety of performance in the bedroom can make it harder for you to do that. Hence, maintaining self-confidence is of utmost important.
- Manage high blood pressure and cholesterol as these diseases can damage blood vessels, thus causing ED.
What Are The Best Foods For Erectile dysfunction/ Impotence?
Certain foods help in preventing Erectile dysfunction. Some foods suggestion for preventing Ed are:
- Nitrate rich foods like green leafy vegetables, beetroot. Nitrates are vasodilators, means they open up blood vessels and increase blood flow. This helps in increasing blood supply to the penis.
- Flavonoids found in dark chocolate improve circulation.
- A protein called arginine may help in relaxing blood vessels. This is found in plenty in pistachios.
- Oysters and other shellfish are the rich sources of a mineral zinc, which helps in the production of the male hormone testosterone.
- Antioxidants rich foods like watermelon.
- Lycopene rich foods like tomatoes and pink grapefruit.
What Are The Worst Foods For Erectile dysfunction/ Impotence?
- Sodium rich foods cause high blood pressure, thus causing damage to blood vessels. Hence avoid foods like cheese, snacks, bacon or cured meat, pickled food, sun dried tomatoes, salt, soy sauce, baking soda or powder.
- Bad cholesterol affects the flow of blood in main organs of the body that can lead to erectile dysfunction. Hence avoid oily and saturated fats rich foods like butter, dried coconut, meat, eggs, cheese, whipped cream, processed meat, dark chocolate, fish oil and hydrogenated oil like palm.
- Avoid trans fats like chips, cookies, muffins, cakes French fries, margarine, and any such fried or packaged foods.
- Avoid high sugar foods.
What Are The Medicines For Erectile dysfunction/ Impotence?
What Are The Tips To Manage Erectile dysfunction/ Impotence?