What Is Hiatal hernia?
Whenever an internal body part shifts to the area where it does not belong, it is called hernia, and this hiatal hernia occurs when the upper part of the stomach pushes through the diaphragm. Generally, there are two main types of Hiatal Hernias - sliding and fixed. This disease is more likely to occur in people of age over 50 and treatment can be done by proper medications.
What Are The Symptoms Of Hiatal hernia?
The symptoms of this disease are hardly seen as the stomach pain is most commonly caused by acidity and constipation problem. The disease can only be observed by CT scan and other scans other than with naked eyes. Some of the most common symptoms are: -
- Heartburn, chest pain or burning.
- Trouble in swallowing.
- Vomiting or retching.
- Feeling overfull after meals.
- More production of saliva.
- A cough and raspy voice.
What Are The Causes Of Hiatal hernia?
The exact cause is still unknown to the scientists. There are several different opinions of different scientists like injury or other damage may weaken muscle tissues.
Some of the main causes are: -
- Born with an unusually large hiatus.
- Frequent vomiting and coughing.
- Injury to the area.
What Are The Things One Should Do To Manage Hiatal hernia?
A hernia is of many types, and even, Hiatal Hernia is of mainly two types, but here are some of the most recommended tips that one should surely follow if he/she is suffering.
- Visit a doctor as soon as you observe symptoms.
- Eat small meals other than three big ones.
- Sleep more comfortably.
- Use and always have an antacid.
- Do take your medication as per the prescription.
- Bake or boil the food instead of frying.
What Are The Things One Should Avoid To Manage Hiatal hernia?
Here are some of the things to avoid for better management of a hernia:.
- Don’t drink or eat anything for one to two hours prior going to bed.
- Don’t bend or lie down right after eating.
- Do not overeat.
- Don’t wear tight clothes.
- Don’t smoke and drink.
What Are The Best Foods For Hiatal hernia?
Diet plays an important and prominent role in every disease as food can both treat the disease and also act as a problem enhancer. Here are some best foods for the management of the disease called hiatal hernia: -
- Fresh fruits: Fresh veggies and fruits are always healthy. Fruits contain antioxidants that help in reducing the risk of occurring this disease. The fruits include cherries, blueberries, bananas, and apples.
- Whole Grains: Increasing whole grains instead of flour in your diet will increase fibre and maintain blood sugars. Thus, whole grains are mostly recommended by all the experts. Grains include cereal, bran, and oatmeal.
- Lean meats: Other fatty meats can be harmful and can promote this disease. Thus, eat lean meat including mackerel and cod. Bake this meat other than frying.
- Water: Drink maximum water as much as one can as water is the biggest treatment of this disease, and it is highly recommended.
- Low-fat products: Dairy products with low-fat are only suggested and also food with less sugar. Drink fruit juice other than tea. Other low-fat food includes yoghurt and ice-cream.
What Are The Worst Foods For Hiatal hernia?
Some of the foods that a sufferer of this disease should definitely avoid are: -
- Saturated Fats: Highly rich butter, meat, and cheese should be avoided. This comes mostly in animal-based products like milk, meat, and other dairy products.
- Beverages: The alcohol and caffeine products like wine, beer, coffee or whole milk should be avoided completely as the disease gets worse with the intake of these beverages.
- Sugar: Sugar is almost harmful in every disease as it promotes fat and that may lead to further diseases like a hernia.
- Citrus products: Avoid all the citrus products including fruits like lemons, oranges, and grapes. These foods are highly acidic thus always suggested to avoid them.
- Spicy food with onion and garlic: These foods weaken the food pipe wall making it easier for stomach acids to back up into your oesophagus. Onions and garlic are also suggested to avoid as they may cause heart bum symptoms.
What Are The Medicines For Hiatal hernia?
What Are The Tips To Manage Hiatal hernia?
- Cook food by using healthy fats like coconut, avocado, and olive oils.
- Eat in a calm and relaxing manner and relax more.
- Always remain in a touch with your doctor.