What Is Human Immunodeficiency Virus, HIV - AIDS?
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), attacks the immune system of human body. The immune system protects the body from all sorts of ailments. A cell called T-helper cell (also called the CD4 cells) in the white blood cells (WBCs) is attacked by it. The virus destroys it and replicates it by making its own copies in the WBC. So as it breaks down the immune system, the person can’t fight against any infections or diseases.
- AIDS (Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome) is a set of symptoms acquired due to HIV. This is the last stage of HIV as the immune system degrades that it can’t fight even the minor infections.
What Are The Symptoms Of Human Immunodeficiency Virus, HIV - AIDS?
- Within 2-4 weeks of getting the infection, one may experience flu like symptoms like cold, fever, chills, sore throat, mouth ulcers, fatigue etc. After that, it becomes asymptomatic, till it reaches AIDS stage.
What Are The Causes Of Human Immunodeficiency Virus, HIV - AIDS?
HIV/AIDS is spread when fluid from infected person reaches another person’s body. These fluids can be blood, vaginal fluids, semen, pre-seminal fluids or breast milk. The ways the HIV/AIDS is transmitted are:
- Sexual transmission (unprotected sex with the infected partner). Sexual transmission is through sexual fluids infected with HIV, unprotected sex (anal, vaginal).
- Perinatal transmission. An infected mother can pass it to a kid during pregnancy, breastfeeding and childbirth.
- Through blood transfusion, sharing of needles etc. with the infected person.
What Are The Things One Should Do To Manage Human Immunodeficiency Virus, HIV - AIDS?
- Use condoms during sex.
- Continue your antiretroviral therapy (ART). ART is the use of medicines for treating HIV infection. ART doesn’t cure HIV but slows the growth of the disease. Continuation of ART increases the life span of the patient.
- Protect yourself from infections.
- Take good care of your diet as key to fight HIV/AIDS lies in building/ maintaining strong immune system
What Are The Things One Should Avoid To Manage Human Immunodeficiency Virus, HIV - AIDS?
- Avoid unprotected sex.
- Intravenous drug abuse.
- Don’t share needles.
- The HIV-infected mother should not breastfeed.
- Don’t be shy of going to a doctor and discussing your disease.
- Do not have sex with multiple partners.
What Are The Best Foods For Human Immunodeficiency Virus, HIV - AIDS?
You should have the aim to include the following in your diet plan:
- Starchy foods: Starchy foods provide essential carbohydrates for calcium, iron energy, fibre, and B vitamins. Best starchy foods are bread, cereals, green banana, maize meal, potatoes, millet, pasta, couscous, rice
- Fruit and vegetables: Fruit and vegetables provide minerals, vitamins, and fibre, apple, pear, orange, pineapple, beans, pulses, plums.
- Dairy products or alternatives
- Nuts, fish, eggs, meat, quinoa, soya, tofu.
- Unsaturated oils and spreads.
What Are The Worst Foods For Human Immunodeficiency Virus, HIV - AIDS?
- Too high salt.
- Red meat, ready-made foods, sugary items. These are difficult to digest, hence reduce your capacity to eat healthy foods.
- Raw eggs
- Uncooked, half cooked meats, sushi, or raw meats, or raw seafood, unpasteurized milk or dairy products.
What Are The Medicines For Human Immunodeficiency Virus, HIV - AIDS?
What Are The Tips To Manage Human Immunodeficiency Virus, HIV - AIDS?
- HIV infected patients must avoid exposure to infections.
- Keep everything clean to avoid infection.
- Wash your hands with soap every time before/ after preparing food and eating food.