What Is Irregular Periods?
A normal mensural cycle is 28 days, plus or minus 7 days. A normal functioning ovary releases one egg every 25-28 days. Most healthy women get their periods once in a month, though the interval could change during puberty or pre-menopausal state.
When a woman’s ovary fails to maintain the cycle of 25-28 days for the release of the egg, it causes irregular periods.
What Are The Symptoms Of Irregular Periods?
- Bleeding occurring at an interval of fewer than 21 days or later than 35 days
- Periods lasting more than 8 days
- Early, missed or late periods
All the above are considered as irregular periods.
What Are The Causes Of Irregular Periods?
- High levels of estrogen
- Heavy exercise
- Too less or too much weight (obesity)
- Poor diet
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
- Uterine abnormalities like fibroids, cysts, endometriosis, polyps
- Hormonal imbalance, especially during pre-menopause stage
- Recent childbirth, miscarriage, D&C
- Smoking, alcohol, drug abuse
- Thyroid, diabetes, sexually transmitted disease
The above list is only indicative and there could also be other reasons for irregular periods.
What Are The Things One Should Do To Manage Irregular Periods?
- Identify the reasons for stress and manage them. Distressing helps in regulating periods.
- Manage your weight. Over-weight or under-weight, both of these are responsible for irregular periods.
- Any medication involving hormones (like thyroid medicine, steroids or psychotropic drugs) may affect your periods. Hence, use them sparingly.
What Are The Things One Should Avoid To Manage Irregular Periods?
- Avoid physical exertion during periods, as it leads to heavier bleeding.
- Don’t over exercise as it can reduce or even stop production of reproductive hormones.
- Don’t ignore irregular periods as it may be an indication of something serious. Go for the thorough check up at once.
- Avoid foods having pesticides as they hamper your mensural cycles.
What Are The Best Foods For Irregular Periods?
- Half teaspoon of cinnamon, mixed with warm lemon water & honey or almond milk is also known for managing irregular periods. It works by regulating the insulin levels.
- Banana and raw papaya, rich in bromelain, are well-known remedies for irregular periods. Bromelain helps in softening and breaking down the lining of the uterus, thus solving a block in periods.
- Ginger, turmeric, sesame seeds, jaggery and fennel shots help in getting periods early. So, try any of these items if your mensural cycle is longer than 35 days.
- Sugarcane juice, parsley juice, bitter gourd juice and grape juice help in regulating periods.
- Aloe vera juice mixed with mixed with honey also is very effective.
What Are The Worst Foods For Irregular Periods?
- Ice creams, dairy products are high-fat foods and should be avoided.
- Ice, canned foods, chips and other high sodium foods make the situation worse.
- Caffeine, cola drinks, chocolates and coffee flavoured drinks.
- High sugar foods should be avoided as they spike up your blood sugar levels. These spikes crash, leaving you more irritable, tired.
- Red meat increases mensural cramps. Go for lean meat instead.
What Are The Medicines For Irregular Periods?
Keeping your bums in normal to cold water for 15 minutes a day or swimming helps in increasing the gap between two cycles. This water therapy is recommended for those who get their periods in less than 28 days.
What Are The Tips To Manage Irregular Periods?