What Is Obesity?
- Obesity is defined as the build-up of excessive or abnormal fat that may spoil health. BMI (body mass index) calculated by dividing the body’s mass by the square of body height, gives a rough idea of the tissue mass in an individual and helps in categorizing the individual as being underweight, normal weight or overweight.
- Obese people are prone to cardiovascular diseases, musculoskeletal abnormalities, and various kinds of cancer. Consuming healthy foods and regular physical activities can help prevent or reduce obesity.
What Are The Symptoms Of Obesity?
- Abnormal weight
- Pot belly
What Are The Causes Of Obesity?
- The major reason that leads to over-weight or obesity is the imbalance between the calories consumed and the calories burnt. The intake of high energy foods and the sedentary lifestyles has led to the global widespread of obesity.
What Are The Things One Should Do To Manage Obesity?
To prevent or reduce obesity, do the following:
- Regular exercise
- Consume vegetable-based oils rather than animal-based oils.
- Take adequate sleep
What Are The Things One Should Avoid To Manage Obesity?
- Decrease the energy intake from total sugars and fats.
- Never skip breakfast as skipping breakfast makes you consume more calories during the day.
What Are The Best Foods For Obesity?
Foods recommended to manage overweight and obesity:
- Foods with the high quantity of fibre as a fibre is bulky and takes longer to digest, therefore you feel full for a longer period of time. Fibre rich foods are fruits and vegetables, breakfast cereals, whole wheat bread or pasta.
- Calcium acts with the hormones to elevate the fat metabolism, so calcium rich foods like yoghurt, cheese, kale, broccoli, milk, sardines, salmon and mackerel must be consumed.
- Plant-based foods have high amounts of fibre, calcium, vitamin d and potassium, so must be consumed over high-calorie foods.
- Low-calorie foods but with high nutrient value like most fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and randomly lean, baked or broiled meat can be consumed.
What Are The Worst Foods For Obesity?
To manage overweight and obesity, following foods must be avoided:
- Sweetened beverages
- Refined grains
- Large amounts of fruit juice
- Red meat and the processed meat
- Highly processed foods
What Are The Medicines For Obesity?
What Are The Tips To Manage Obesity?