What Is Ovarian cancer?
Ovarian cancer is the form of cancer which forms in or on ovaries. It is characterized by the abnormal growth of cells which spreads to other parts of the body. It may spread to the lining of the abdomen, lungs, liver and lymph nodes. Ovarian cancer is treatable if diagnosed and treated at early stages.
What Are The Symptoms Of Ovarian cancer?
There are generally no visible signs and symptoms of ovarian cancer at the early stages. The symptoms may vary at the early and later stages.
At early stages, the symptoms are often misdiagnosed with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome). These are enlisted as below:
- Bloating, pelvic pain
- Abdominal swelling, loss of appetite
- Irregular menstruation
- Diarrhea or indigestion, nausea, heartburn, constipation
- Urinary disorders
- Fatigue, painful intercourse
At later stages following symptoms are observed:
- Hirsutism, abdominal pain
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding
What Are The Causes Of Ovarian cancer?
The exact causes of ovarian cancer are not known. Various risk factors which can increase the chances of ovarian cancer are enlisted as below:
- Genetic factors: A family history of ovarian cancer is found to be a risk factor for ovarian cancer.
- Hormonal factors: Woman with polycystic ovarian syndrome and endometriosis are at more risk of having ovarian cancer.
- Hormone therapy after menopause
- Use of infertility medication
- Age: Risk of getting ovarian cancer increases with age especially after menopause.
What Are The Things One Should Do To Manage Ovarian cancer?
- Check the early symptoms and consult your doctor immediately if you have any of the symptoms.
- Early detection can help to cure the disease.
- Prefer breastfeeding for longer periods as there are associated with lowering the risk of ovarian cancer.
What Are The Things One Should Avoid To Manage Ovarian cancer?
- Don’t ignore the symptoms as these can delay the treatment.
- Don’t take the stress.
- Don’t smoke.
- Don’t consume excess alcohol.
- Avoid contacts with herbicides or pesticides.
What Are The Best Foods For Ovarian cancer?
- Vegetables rich in antioxidants: Spinach, broccoli, kale, mustard greens, tomatoes are rich sources of antioxidants and help in curing ovarian cancer.
- Food rich in soy: Soybeans, soy milk, soy yogurt, soy protein powders and soy nuts are rich in soy and they provide a high amount of proteins, omega-3 fatty acids, fibers, Vitamin B can help to lower the risk of ovarian cancer.
- Grapes, turmeric, peanuts possess selective cytotoxicity and therefore are helpful in attacking malignant cells.
What Are The Worst Foods For Ovarian cancer?
- Food rich in fats should be avoided as they increase the risk of developing ovarian cancer.
- Red meat and processed meat should be avoided because of the presence of high levels of saturated fats which are not good in ovarian cancer.
- Refined Sugar products: Sugar allows the proliferation of the cancer cells and help in their development so it should be avoided.
- Alcohol: It should be completely avoided as it interferes with the medications and weakens the immune system.
What Are The Medicines For Ovarian cancer?
What Are The Tips To Manage Ovarian cancer?
To prevent ovarian cancer modification in lifestyle can be helpful. Following are some tips to prevent ovarian cancer:
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Continue breastfeeding for at least a year if you have a baby.
- Avoid alcohol consumption
- Use of birth control pills.
- Have a healthy diet.
- Include necessary supplements in your daily diet.