What Is Roundworm infections?
Roundworm infections are known as Ascariasis which is caused by the parasitic roundworm Ascaris lumbricoides. It is an infection of the small intestine.
What Are The Symptoms Of Roundworm infections?
Usually, there are no as such symptoms of roundworm infections if the number of worms is less. Symptoms occur in the cases where the number of worms is large. These symptoms are:
- Fever in the beginning
- Shortness of breath
- Abdominal pain
- Abdominal swelling
People infected with a large number of worms may have following symptoms:
- Visceral damage
- Inflammation of the lungs
- Enlargement of the spleen or liver
- Intestinal blockage
- Bowel obstruction
In children following symptoms are observed:
- Weight gain
- Learning disorders
What Are The Causes Of Roundworm infections?
Roundworm infections are caused by the parasitic roundworm Ascaris lumbricoides. It is an infection of the small intestine which occurs after ingesting the eggs of roundworm. These eggs can be present in the soil contaminated by human faeces or uncooked food contaminated by the soil containing eggs of roundworms. Infection may occur through other objects also such as furniture, hands or money. Children are more prone to this infection as they used to put their contaminated hands in their mouth.
The reproduction of roundworms starts in the body after ingestion.
What Are The Things One Should Do To Manage Roundworm infections?
- Maintain proper hygiene. Always keep yourself and your household items neat and clean.
- Wash your hands properly before and after eating anything.
- Educate your children about the importance of washing hands.
- Always wash and cook the raw vegetables and fruits properly especially the ones which have been grown in the soil.
- Dispose of the faecal away from soil and water resources.
What Are The Things One Should Avoid To Manage Roundworm infections?
- Don’t allow your children to play in the contaminated soil. It increases the risk for infections.
- Don’t eat food contaminated with soil
What Are The Best Foods For Roundworm infections?
- Probiotics: Probiotics contains good bacteria which help to kill the bad bacteria. Probiotics should be added to your diet to improve the health of your gut. Kefirs, yoghurt, Sauerkraut, temphen are some of the good sources of probiotics.
- Vegetables: Green leafy vegetables are full of essential nutrients. These help to flush off the toxins from the body. Including vegetables in your diet will reduce the risk of getting an infection. Always eat properly cooked vegetables to minimise the infection.
- Antioxidants: Fruits and vegetables are rich sources of antioxidants. These help to remove the toxins from the body and provide nutrients to infected body parts. Carrots, cucumbers, blueberries, grapes, avocados etc should be included in your daily diet.
What Are The Worst Foods For Roundworm infections?
- Sugar: Intake of food should be avoided as sugar feeds parasites. Roundworm increases the craving for sugar. Sugar provides energy to the parasites. So it should be avoided.
- Refined carbohydrates: These increases the blood sugar levels thereby increasing the life of parasites. Cakes, bread, pasta, cookies should be avoided.
- Wheat products: Wheat grains contain gluten which breaks down into sugar and increases the inflammation.
What Are The Medicines For Roundworm infections?
What Are The Tips To Manage Roundworm infections?
Here are some home remedies to treat roundworm infections:
- Wormwood: It is an antiparasitic herb that helps to eliminate parasites from the body.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil contains lauric acid which is a saturated fat. It is helpful in killing the parasite through its antibiotic action.
- Garlic: It has antiparasitic and antibiotic properties which help in bowel detoxification and increases the bowel movements.
- Pineapple: These contain Bromelain, an antiparasitic enzyme which is helpful in killing the worms.
- Cloves: Cloves stop the growth of new parasites by killing the eggs laid by adult parasites.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: It works by increasing the stomach acids before meals and helps in keeping stomach free from parasites and their larvae.