What Is Seizures ?
Seizures are a rapid rush of electrical activity in the brain. The nerve cell action is disturbed during seizures. It affects an individual’s appearances or actions for a short period of time.
What Are The Symptoms Of Seizures ?
A seizure can occur for an episode of few seconds to 15 minutes.
- Short-term loss of consciousness
- Spasms, Muscle stiffness
- Repetitive movements, bouncy movements
- A sick stomach
- Modified Vision
- An out of body feeling
If in Progress:
- Salivating or frothing of mouth
- Difference of taste in the mouth
- Clamping teeth together
- Rapid eye Movements
- Rumbling / making noises
- No control over bladder or bowel function
What Are The Causes Of Seizures ?
Various health issues may lead to a seizure.
- Decreasing glucose levels in blood
- Failure in kidney or liver
- Exceptionally elevated blood pressure
- Shock in head
- An electric shock
- Sudden drug/alcohol abandonment
- A brain defect present from birth
- An injury/injection caused in brain
- Toxic bites/stings
What Are The Things One Should Do To Manage Seizures ?
- The main objective should be to protect the person from injuries caused from falling.
- Make sure the person is in a safe area. Remove any sharp or dangerous objects lying around.
- Provide a pillow to the person’s head.
- Untie the tighter clothes, especially those around the neck.
- Position the person on their sides. This is to prevent the vomit from entering the lungs.
- Follow the instructions on medical ID bracelet.
- Be sure someone stays with the person until the help arrives.
What Are The Things One Should Avoid To Manage Seizures ?
- Never try to hold down the person.
- Do not place anything between the teeth.
- Don’t move the person unless they are in risky positions or environment.
- Never try to stop the person from spasms as the person cannot control it.
- Starting CPR before the seizure stops completely.
- Do not try to insert anything through the mouth before the person becomes fully alert.
What Are The Best Foods For Seizures ?
- A fruitful diet comprises of fruits, vegetables, proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. Besides, there is a need to intake plenty of liquid as well.
- Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates can be best consumed in the form of whole grain foods which offer nutritious ingredients like minerals, vitamins and fibres.
- Proteins: They help build up the immune system, red blood cells, enzymes, hormones and muscles in the body that reduce the chances of seizure. Some protein-rich foods are eggs, fish, meat, lentils, beans, tofu, cheese, milk, etc.
- Fruits and Vegetables: They help protect the body from infections. Apple, orange, guava, strawberry, pear, peach, broccoli, carrots, beans, are some of the many fruits and vegetables that should be added to the patient's diet.
- Liquids: Consumption of liquids at regular intervals is important as it helps avoid dehydration that can trigger a seizure.
What Are The Worst Foods For Seizures ?
People who have risks of seizures need to avoid certain foods that may trigger the condition out of the blue. Some of these are:
Refined Carbohydrates: Foods with refined carbohydrates tend to increase the glycaemia in the body that leads to high glucose levels. These foods comprise of chips, white pasta, bagels, cakes, white bread, soft drinks, pizza, etc.
Fruits and vegetables with high glycaemia: There are also a number of fruits and vegetables that have high glycemic content in them leading to irregular glucose levels. Such food items that need to be avoided are dates, mashed potatoes, bananas, raisins, mangos, etc.
Other foods that have chances of triggering seizures in people are Monosodium Glutamate and Gingko Nuts which when consumed in large quantity can be toxic to the nerves.
What Are The Medicines For Seizures ?
What Are The Tips To Manage Seizures ?
Leading a healthy lifestyle can reduce the risk of seizure.