What Is Skin allergies?
Skin allergies are allergic disorders which are caused by abnormal or hypersensitivity reaction of the immune system in response to some elements which may or may not otherwise cause any problem to a normal body.
Skin allergies result into rashes, inflammation or swelling within the skin. There are different types of skin allergies such as eczema and hives.
What Are The Symptoms Of Skin allergies?
Symptoms of skin allergy may vary from skin to skin and allergy to allergy. Irrespective of types of skin allergy, there are some common symptoms. These are listed as below:
- Swelling of the skin
- Blistering, bumps, dryness, redness
- Itching that can be intense
- Peeling of the skin, cracking and flaking
What Are The Causes Of Skin allergies?
Skin allergy is caused by various allergens present in the environment. Some of the allergens which cause skin allergy are:
- Fragrances: Artificial fragrance found in cosmetics, foods and other products can cause skin allergy.
- Formaldehyde: Preservative.
- Nickel: Metal used in accessories.
- Gold: Used to make jewellery.
- Plants: Poison Ivy, Poison Oak and Poison Sumac causes skin allergies.
- Latex or rubber: Used to make gloves, waistbands etc.
- Food: Certain spices or ingredients can cause skin allergy.
- Cloth fabric: Some types of fabrics such as wool can cause allergy as it is rough and gathers dust and pollens.
- Sunlight and heat: Number of skin problem can be caused due to UV rays and intense heat.
- Skin care products such as soaps, creams, gels or lotions may contain some chemicals which may cause skin allergy.
What Are The Things One Should Do To Manage Skin allergies?
- Identify the allergen affecting your body and stay away from it.
- Wear loose clothing to allow the skin to breathe. Tight clothing may irritate the skin.
- Remove your jewellery or any other accessories as it may worsen the allergy.
- Cover your skin while you are out. It helps in preventing further infection.
- Keep yourself and your living area clean.
- Use mild cleansers to clean the skin
- Use cold packs to soothe the skin.
- Keep the affected area clean.
What Are The Things One Should Avoid To Manage Skin allergies?
- Avoid going out in the sun without covering your skin or using sunscreen lotion.
- Do not scratch or rub the affected part.
- Do not use harsh products to clean or wash the damaged skin.
- Do not keep the affected part covered all the time. Allow the skin to breathe.
- Avoid wearing rough fabric clothes because constant rubbing may cause damage to the skin.
What Are The Best Foods For Skin allergies?
- Probiotics: Probiotics such as yoghurt, kefir, miso soup, reduce the allergic reactions by building strong immune system. These contain live cultures which help in building the immunity of the body and healing the skin allergy.
- Bright colour fruits and vegetables: These contain quercetin, a natural flavonoid which is an excellent antioxidant. It helps in reducing the inflammation and maintains normal levels of histamine also. Examples are apples, berries, broccoli, spinach, kale etc.
- Fibre-rich diet: It includes broccoli, beans, berries, avocados, pears, black beans, Brussels sprouts, raspberries, barley, whole wheat pasta, oatmeal etc. These are easy to digest and help to keep the skin healthy and free from allergies.
- Water: Water helps in maintaining the normal electrolyte balance of the body. Drinking 2-3 litres of water a day prevents dehydration and helps in retaining the normal moisture content of the skin.
- Vitamin C: Food rich in vitamin C helps in the synthesis of collagen and protects the skin from harmful rays of the sun. Vitamin C has antioxidant properties which protect the skin from the attack of allergens.
What Are The Worst Foods For Skin allergies?
- Processed and refined foods: These foods contain high amounts of fats and spices which increase the inflammation of the skin.
- Alcohol: Consumption of alcohol causes dehydration and increases the risk of skin allergies by damaging the collagen.
- Sugar: Sugar increases the blood glucose level and dehydration. Both of these which flare up the existing condition of the skin.
- Canned and packed foods: These should be avoided as artificial preservatives are added to such foods which increase the risk of skin allergies.
What Are The Medicines For Skin allergies?
What Are The Tips To Manage Skin allergies?
- Skin allergies can be managed by changing eating habits and modifying the way of living.
- Some of the home remedies to treat skin allergies are mentioned below:
- Turmeric: This is one of the best anti-inflammatory ingredients found in almost every Indian home. It has a strong detoxifying effect which purifies the blood and helps in healing of skin allergies.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera due to its soothing effect is used widely in various preparations. It is a powerful element to cure the itchy skin.
- Tulsi: Helps in treating skin allergies through its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Neem: Neem is composed of quercetin which is the best anti-inflammatory agent. It has antibacterial and antifungal properties. Mask of Neem powder can be applied over the infected skin. It helps to heal the skin allergies at the earliest.
- Giloy: It heals the skin allergies by fighting with the cause of allergies. It helps in treating the infection which causes allergy by improving digestion and boosting the immunity.