What Is Smooth muscle spasm?
Smooth muscle spasm is defined as the smooth muscle’s involuntary contraction causing a sudden, extreme pain. It is also known as a muscle cramp but is not as same as a muscle twitch. A muscle twitch is regarded as an uncontrolled fine movement that is associated with the larger muscle’s small segment that can be seen under the skin.
Smooth muscle is generally located in the walls that are associated with the hollow internal structures in the body such as intestines, arteries, iris of the eye, and bladder. These muscles are regarded as involuntary muscles, and they are controlled by the unconscious part involved with the brain functions. The particular brain function is regulated by the autonomic nervous system.
What Are The Symptoms Of Smooth muscle spasm?
Smooth muscle spasm is associated with the following signs and symptoms:
- Smooth muscles that are associated with the hollow organs such as colon can be involved with spasm. It can cause a severe pain. Most of the times, the particular pain is colicky, that means it develops and goes. Such kinds of examples are involved with diarrhea, menstrual cramps, passing a kidney stone, gallbladder pain and so on.
- Smooth muscle spasm fills the air in the hollow part of the body as well as the muscle spasm can squeeze the hollow part’s fluid that can result in a significant pain as the air or fluid can’t be compressed. The intestinal wall can develop smooth muscle spasm through the waves of pain known as colic. Bile duct can also be involved with this kind of colicky pain that may develop after food consumption.
- Coronary artery spasm can cause chest pain that may be indistinguishable from the coronary artery disease’s pain.
- Menstrual cramp is a kind of smooth muscle spasm that can be associated with leg pain, hip pain, lower back pain, vomiting, nausea, headaches, diarrhea, irritability, bloating and so on.
What Are The Causes Of Smooth muscle spasm?
Smooth muscle spasm can be developed in several organs. A number of causes associated with this are as follows:
- If the kidney stones are passed through the urinary tract, then the smooth muscles associated with the ureter (that connects the kidney to the bladder) may develop muscle spasm that may cause rhythmic and significant pain. Most of the times, the particular type of pain is associated with the vomiting and nausea and it is called renal colic.
- Muscles that are located around the oesophagus may develop muscle spasm if acid reflux develops an irritation on the oesophagus lining. It can result in GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) or esophagitis.
- Diarrhoea can be involved with colicky pain if the muscles associated with the colon wall develop muscle spasm just before a bowel movement (watery).
- Menstrual cramps are also a common example of smooth muscle spasm that can occur when the uterus walls contract forcefully.
- The coronary arteries that provide blood to the heart muscles are associated with the smooth muscles inside their walls. They can also develop muscle spasm that is called as Coronary artery spasm. Smokers and people with high cholesterol level can face this trouble more than other people. Coronary artery spasm may be enhanced by alcohol withdrawal, stress, cocaine abuse or some medications that can make constrict blood vessels. Coronary artery spasm is also called as Prinzmetal's angina.
What Are The Things One Should Do To Manage Smooth muscle spasm?
You can do the following things in smooth muscle spasm:
As smooth muscle spasm can occur due to many various internal disorders such as gall bladder stones, indigestion, and other metabolic disorders, so it is advisable to get a proper diagnosis done first.
Smooth muscles present in internal organs such as the heart can also lead to spasm so it is recommended that the patient performs cardiovascular exercises.
Consume smooth muscle-relaxants after proper consultation with a specialist.
A bottle of warm water can be kept above the stomach for some time in order to get relief from pain and other symptoms associated with smooth muscle spasms.
Smooth muscles spasms need to be relaxed during their treatment so it is advisable to intake small meals instead of large ones.
What Are The Things One Should Avoid To Manage Smooth muscle spasm?
Avoid doing following things in smooth muscle spasm:
- Don’t allow your body to develop dehydration as it can result in electrolytic disorders.
- Do not consume items that are too hard on the metabolism of the patient.
What Are The Best Foods For Smooth muscle spasm?
Following foods can be consumed after consulting the Doctor:
- Water: Drinking sufficient amount of water can help to reduce the muscle spasm. So, the body should be kept hydrated in order to keep away the retained liquids in the body. An individual can feel comfortable with the help of water. It makes the muscle contraction and relaxation easier. Hence, prevents smooth muscle spasm.
- Calcium: The role of calcium is vital for treating smooth muscle spasm. It contributes to impulsive nerve generation. Hence, calcium deficient people may suffer from smooth muscle contraction or spasm. A few foods that are rich in calcium and can be consumed to treat smooth muscle spasm are fortified tofu, seeds and nuts, green leafy vegetables, edible bones like pink salmon, anchovies, sardines, etc., and dairy products.
- Potassium: One of the main electrolytes present in the body is potassium. It is an essential nutrient for maintaining healthy functioning of the muscles and nervous system. Potassium generates electrical impulses. Hence, potassium deficient people can suffer from smooth muscle cramps. Certain sources rich in potassium are fishes, dairy products, vegetables such pumpkin, sweet potatoes and potatoes, and some fruits like avocados, bananas, citrus fruits, and melons.
- Magnesium: In a human body, muscles consist of about 1/3rd of the magnesium. Hence, magnesium contributes in the relaxation and contraction of the muscles. Therefore, lack of magnesium may result in smooth muscle spasm. Some of the sources that are rich in magnesium are natural yogurt, dried fruits, dark chocolates, dry cocoa, whole grains like cereals and brown rice, bananas, dark green leafy vegetables, seeds and nuts, avocado, mackerel, soy beans, and legumes.
What Are The Worst Foods For Smooth muscle spasm?
Following foods should not be consumed after consulting the Doctor:
- Caffeinated Beverages: Caffeine can be found in coffee, tea, and soft drinks. It may increase constrict blood vessels that can worsen muscle spasms. The oils, associated with the coffee, can irritate the intestines. So, the decaffeinated versions of such drinks can be selected after consulting the doctor.
- Alcohol: Alcohol can act as a diuretic and can cause to retain water inside the body. It can enhance the menstrual cramping that can also lead to bloating.
- Red meat: Red meat is associated with such substances that are known as arachidonic acids. They may be associated with prostaglandins’ stimulation that can increase menstrual cramps.
- Dairy products: Milk, yogurt, cheese, and butter should be avoided in order to get rid of muscle spasm. Such types of products are associated with the arachidonic acids that can increase cramps.
- Salty Foods: Chips, table salt, processed meals, Chinese food dishes such as lo mein, and General Tso's chicken as well as fast foods are associated with high amount of sodium. High salt intake can develop retained water in the body, so they should be avoided in order to get rid of muscle spasms.
What Are The Medicines For Smooth muscle spasm?
What Are The Tips To Manage Smooth muscle spasm?
As smooth muscle spasm is mostly involved with the internal organs, so a specialist should be consulted as early as possible.