What Is Toenail infection?
- It is a fungal nail infection occurring due to the attack of a fungus on the fingernail, toenail, or a skin under the nail, called the nail bed. The attack of fungus can be through small skin cuts in the skin around the nail or sometimes through the opening between the nail and nail bed. For a healthy person, the fungal nail is not the that serious problem. But it may not look nice, may hurt, or may damage nail or nail bed. For a person with diabetes or a weak immune system, it may lead to a more serious problem.
What Are The Symptoms Of Toenail infection?
- Brittle, discoloured nails or thickening of nails.
What Are The Causes Of Toenail infection?
- Yeast, moulds, and different types of fungus are the causes of fungal nail infection. Mostly the ground of fungus is one that causes athlete’s foot.
What Are The Things One Should Do To Manage Toenail infection?
To avoid or cure the Toenail Infection, the following can be done:
- Tea Tree/Orange Oil Rub: Tea Tree is a natural disinfectant, possessing fungicidal and antibacterial properties. Whereas, Orange oil is very effective in getting rid of the fungus.
- Baking soda and vinegar soak: Baking soda is a fungi static which means it prevents the spreading and growing. However, vinegar soaks help in killing the fungus.
- Coconut Oil: It naturally inserts itself in the lipid (fat) layer of the fungus membrane and disturbs it, this leads to the disintegration and destruction of the fungus
- Alternate your shoes.
- Disinfect regularly: Spay your shoes with antibacterial spray especially if you wore them without socks and wash all socks in hot and bleach water.
What Are The Things One Should Avoid To Manage Toenail infection?
Things that must be avoided if you have a toenail infection:
- Do not use non-sanitized nail scissor or clipper.
- Do not wear tight shoes.
- Do not wear unbreathable shoes i.e rubber or plastic shoes.
- Avoid going barefoot in public areas: Areas like Locker rooms, public pools, and showers are full of fungus.
What Are The Best Foods For Toenail infection?
What Are The Worst Foods For Toenail infection?
What Are The Medicines For Toenail infection?
What Are The Tips To Manage Toenail infection?