What Is Vaginal yeast infections?
Also called as ‘Candidal Vulvovaginitis’, vaginal yeast infection is a condition where the concentration of yeast in vagina increases and that of Lactobacillus bacteria decreases. Generally, overgrowth of Candida fungus due to the decrease in Lactobacillus bacteria leads to this condition.
What Are The Symptoms Of Vaginal yeast infections?
The common symptoms of the condition are:
- Swelling around the vagina.
- Itching around the vagina.
- Painful urination.
- Pain during sex.
- Clumpy vaginal discharge.
What Are The Causes Of Vaginal yeast infections?
Candida albicans and other similar organisms are recognised as the accountable organisms in this condition. Overgrowth of yeast in the vagina may be due to:
- Impaired immune system.
- Higher oestrogen levels caused by hormone therapy or birth control pills.
- Excess use of antibiotics.
- Uncontrolled diabetes.
- Poor eating habits.
What Are The Things One Should Do To Manage Vaginal yeast infections?
Prudent tips for the management of vaginal yeast infection include:
- Washing underwear with hot water.
- Following a healthy and balanced diet.
- Cleaning the infected area frequently.
- Replacing feminine products often.
What Are The Things One Should Avoid To Manage Vaginal yeast infections?
- Avoid wearing tight underwear and pants.
- Don’t wear wet clothes for too long.
- Avoid using hot tubs for bathing.
- Avoid vaginal douching.
- Avoid using scented sanitary napkins.
What Are The Best Foods For Vaginal yeast infections?
The most recommended foods to reduce and prevent yeast infections are:
- Vitamin C-rich foods: Such foods effectively inhibit fungal growth. These foods include oranges, guava, papaya, grapefruit, strawberries, pineapple, kohlrabi, brussels sprouts, etc.
- Copper, Iron-, Manganese- and fibre-rich foods: Foods containing these nutrients help in keeping the fungal infection under control. Such foods include coriander, beans, peas, almonds, spinach, sunflower seeds, beef liver, dark chocolate, nuts, whole grains, salads, etc.
- Oregano oil: It is an effective anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory agent, which is why it is good for treatment of vaginal yeast infection.
- Coconut Oil: It effectively fights against Candida fungus and has antioxidant properties.
- High-protein foods: The protein intake has to be more during this condition to promote healthy Candida levels in the body. Such foods include eggs, seeds, chicken, fish, milk products, etc.
- Vegetables: These should be added to the diet to let the infection succumb through a healthy digestive process. Such vegetables include cauliflower, cabbage, onion, tomatoes, green pepper, cucumber, etc.
What Are The Worst Foods For Vaginal yeast infections?
The foods that promote the growth of yeast are to be avoided. Few are:
- Sweets: Excess sugar helps in the growth of microbes. Avoid consuming candies, processed soups, fruit juice, etc.
- Baked bread: Made using yeast, these foods promote the growth of fungus. So, avoid consuming cookies, cakes, pastries, doughnuts and anything that is baked using sugar. Also, avoid products containing white bread.
- Dry fruits: Dry fruits have higher risks of being contaminated with fungus. So, avoid walnuts, pistachios, peanuts, coconuts, etc.
- Alcohol and other beverages: Alcohol serves a great medium for the growth of fungus. These include all alcoholic drinks, coffee, cereal beverages, etc.
- Sauces: Sauces can undergo fermentation and help in the growth of microbes. So, avoid ketchup, pasta sauces, and anything sauce with sugar in it.
- Pasta: Avoid consuming pasta bread, especially made from white flour. These can lead to further infection. These include fried noodles, ramen, semolina, farina, etc.
What Are The Medicines For Vaginal yeast infections?
What Are The Tips To Manage Vaginal yeast infections?
- Applying coconut oil or tea tree oil cream externally around the infected part provides relief from symptoms.
- Make sure that hands are clean before applying creams or oils for treatment around the vagina.