What Are The Uses Of Acyclovir?
Acyclovir is also known as Aciclovir. It is an antiviral drug, used for infections caused by herpes virus-like genital herpes, cold sores around the mouth, shingles, and chickenpox. Acyclovir slows the growth & spread of the herpes virus in the body. It will not cure herpes. But it can reduce symptoms of the infection. Acyclovir is also used for treating genital herpes.
What Are The Side Effects Of Acyclovir?
Common acyclovir side effects may be as follows:
- Breathing difficulty
- Nausea, vomiting
- A headache
- Swelling of lips, face, tongue or throat
- Mouth pain while using an acyclovir buccal tablet
Please consult your doctor immediately if any of the above symptoms persist.
What Are The Contraindications Of Acyclovir?
Do not take this medication if you:
- Are allergic to acyclovir or valacyclovir.
- Allergic to milk proteins
Tell your doctor if you:
- Have kidney disease. Acyclovir can cause harm to your kidney and the effect can increase if you are taking other medications like chemotherapy, injected antibiotics, probenecid, antivirals, medicine for bowel disorders, injectable osteoporosis medication, medicine to prevent organ transplant rejection, and some pain or arthritis medicines
- Have a weak immune system
- Are pregnant or are planning to become pregnant
- Are taking any OTC supplements