What Are The Uses Of Antioxidants?
Antioxidants are the substances or molecules which counteract the damaging effects of oxidation (chemical reaction producing free radicals). Basically, these inhibit the oxidation of other molecules.
Oxidation leads to chain reactions inside the body which may damage the cells. The antioxidants terminate these chain reactions and prevent the risk of diseases such as cancer, atherosclerosis and many other. Antioxidants can be found in fruits and vegetables and supplements also.
Some of the most commonly studied antioxidants are:
- Beta-carotene, Lycopene, Vitamin C
- Coenzyme Q10
- Glutathione, Melatonin, Vitamin E, Uric acid
Antioxidants have a wide variety of benefits. These are found beneficial in following conditions:
- Immunity booster: Antioxidants are helpful in building strong immunity by destroying free radicals.
- Anti-ageing: Antioxidants delays the ageing process. Vitamin C and Vitamin E are excellent antioxidants which are useful in this case.
- Anti-arthritics: Antioxidants due to their anti-inflammatory action are found useful in curing the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Anti-cancer: Antioxidants are found useful in cancer treatment as they reduce the inflammation by preventing free radical damage.
- Eye disorders: Vitamin C and Vitamin E are useful in reducing cataract progression. Antioxidants improve vision and improve night blindness also.
- Infertility: Antioxidants are beneficial in increasing sperm quality and quantity and thus helps in treating infertility.
- Cognitive health: These are found beneficial in improving memory and reducing the risk of dementia.
- Cardiovascular health: Antioxidants found in veggies and fruits are helpful in preventing heart diseases and protecting the heart.
- Urinary tract infection: By removing the oxidative stress it is helpful in treating UTI’s.
- Kidney and liver disease: Antioxidants are useful in treating liver and kidney disease by reducing the oxidative stress and damaging free radicals. Antioxidants allow the normal functioning of these organs.
- Dermatology: Antioxidants are found beneficial in treating acne and reducing hair fall.
What Are The Side Effects Of Antioxidants?
What Are The Contraindications Of Antioxidants?