What Are The Uses Of Beta-carotene?
Beta-carotene, a group of red/ yellow/ orange pigments is a precursor of vitamin A. Beta-carotene is converted into vitamin A (retinol) by the human body.
Vitamin A is essential for keeping skin, mucus membranes, our immune system and our eyes healthy. It acts as the antioxidant by protecting the body from free radicals.
It is also used for decreasing symptoms of asthma, preventing cancers, cataract and maintaining heart health.
What Are The Side Effects Of Beta-carotene?
β-carotene is possibly safe if used as the supplement for short duration, under the supervision of a healthcare provider.
High doses of β-carotene may result in changing the skin colour to yellow or orange.
Some of the other side-effects of high dose may be:
- Dizziness, headache
- Burping, constipation or diarrhoea
- Increased chances of colds, many types of cancers like that of lungs, stomach, and prostate.
- Increased risk of coronary heart disease.
- Muscle pain, joint pain may also occur in some cases.
What Are The Contraindications Of Beta-carotene?
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- You are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breastfeeding.
- You are already taking any other supplement.
- You smoke or drink.