What Are The Uses Of Calcium?
The body needs calcium to build and maintain strong bones. Calcium is found naturally in many foods and is available in form of supplements also. The benefits of calcium go beyond bone health. It:
- Helps children in attaining full adult height.
- Reduces the risk of osteoporosis, arthritis, and osteopenia by maintaining the bone mass.
- Prevents many types of cancers (if taken in combination with other vitamins).
- Prevents premenstrual depression.
- Protects cardiac muscles and controls blood pressure.
- Helps in maintaining optimal body weight.
- Reduces the risk of kidney stones.
- Helps in maintaining healthy pH level in the body.
What Are The Side Effects Of Calcium?
High dose of calcium can cause kidney stones, bloating, gas, nausea, or irregular heartbeat.
What Are The Contraindications Of Calcium?
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Kidney stones, or any kidney disease
- Heart problems, bone tumors, or sarcoidosis.