What Are The Uses Of Cholestyramine?
Cholestyramine, a bile acid sequestrate (quaternary ammonium group), is used in the treatment of following conditions:
- High cholesterol levels in blood
- Itching caused by bile duct blockage
What Are The Side Effects Of Cholestyramine?
The most common side effects of Cholestyramine are:
Some severe ( but rare) side effects are:
- Unusual bleeding
- Rash, hives
- Black or bloody stools
- Chest tightness
- Swelling of mouth / face / lips / tongue
- Unusual bruising
Please consult a physician if the symptoms are persistent.
What Are The Contraindications Of Cholestyramine?
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Hyper sensitivity towards the drug Cholestyramine or any other allergies.
- Kidney disease
- Nephritic syndrome
- Obstructive liver disease