What Are The Uses Of Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA)?
DHEA is a steroid hormone which occurs naturally in the human body. Dehydroepiandrosterone is used as the dietary supplement to complete the nutritional deficiency of DHEA in our body.
It is found to be beneficial in following conditions:
- Nutritional deficiency: To complete the adrenal deficiency in women.
- Menopause: Used in hormone replacement therapy as an androgen.
- Vaginal atrophy (inflammation of vagina): Used as a vaginal insert to complete the deficiency of estrogens.
- Female infertility: Used in combination with gonadotropins.
What Are The Side Effects Of Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA)?
Taking DHEA in appropriate quantity for smaller duration does not have any side effects.
But overdose or long term use of DHEA may cause some side effects like:
- Abdominal upset
- Changes in menstrual cycle
- Hair loss
- Facial hair growth in women
- Increase in blood pressure
What Are The Contraindications Of Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA)?
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions: