What Are The Uses Of Dexamethasone?
Dexamethasone, a corticosteroid, is used in the treatment of following conditions:
- Rheumatic problems (auto immune diseases)
- Severe allergies, many skin diseases, brain swelling
- Tuberculosis (In combination of antibiotics)
- Asthma, Croup (upper airway infection)
- Adrenal insufficiency (adrenal gland does not produce sufficient amount of steroid hormones).
- Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (low levels of platelets)
- Diabetic macular oedema (accumulation of fluid in macula of retina of eye)
- Central retinal vein occlusion
- Acute endophthalmitis (inflammation of intraocular cavities of eye) along with antibiotics inflammation
- Ankylosing spondylitis ( inflammatory arthritis of spine and joints)
What Are The Side Effects Of Dexamethasone?
The most common side effects of Dexamethasone are:
Sometimes severe (but rare) side effects are
- High blood glucose, Low potassium levels
- Unusual tiredness
- Unusual digestion upset
- Blood in stools / black stools
- Congestive heart failure
Please consult a physician if the symptoms are persistent.
What Are The Contraindications Of Dexamethasone?
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Hyper sensitivity towards the drug Dexamethasone or any other allergies
- Diabetes, Psychoses
- Peptic ulcers, Hypertension
- Infectious diseases (Herpes simplex, keratitis)
- Untreated tuberculosis
- High cholesterol
- In efficiency of hypothalamus and pituitary gland
- Wide angle glaucoma