What Are The Uses Of Dextran?
Dextran is a polysaccharide used to:
- Reduce blood viscosity and hypovolaemia (to increase volume)
- Replace lost blood in case of emergency (occasionally)
- Increase blood sugar levels
- Lubricate dry eyes
What Are The Side Effects Of Dextran?
Some side effects that may occur with the administration of dextran are:
- Anaphylaxis (a type of serious allergic reaction)
- Pulmonary edema, platelet dysfunction
- Volume overload, cerebral edema
Please consult a physician if the symptoms are persistent.
What Are The Contraindications Of Dextran?
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Hypersensitivity towards the drug insulin dextran or any other allergies.
- Kidney disease, heart problems, dehydration