What Are The Uses Of Erythropoietin?
Erythropoietin, a cytokine ( protein signalling molecule, hormone) helps in producing red blood cells in the body. Hence, it is used in the treatment of following conditions:
- Anaemia caused due to chronic kidney diseases, inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn's disease) and ulcerative colitis
- Anaemia in cancer patients due to chemotherapy
- Myelodysplasia due to cancer treatment
- Anaemia induced by certain medications in HIV/AIDS patients
What Are The Side Effects Of Erythropoietin?
The most common side effects of Erythropoietin are:
- Rash (or) pain at the injection site
- Increased blood pressure
- Sometimes severe ( but rare) side effects are
- Blood clot in artery, an increased chances of heart attack
- Tumour recurrence
- Please consult a physician if the symptoms are persistent.
What Are The Contraindications Of Erythropoietin?
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Hyper sensitivity towards the drug Erythropoietin or any other allergies
- High blood pressure
- Symptoms of heart failure
- Rapid tumour growth
- Heart attack
- Inadequate folic acid, vitamin B12, iron levels
- Blood clots