What Are The Uses Of Estrogen?
Estrogen, a female sex hormone, is
- Used as a contraceptive.
- Used in postmenopausal conditions to prevent osteoporosis.
- Also used in menopausal conditions to treat vaginal dryness,
- Urinary stress incontinence, hot flashes etc.
- Given in high doses to treat, breast cancer etc.
- Promotes production of osteoblasts (bone cells), the elasticity of vaginal tissues.
- Reduces risk of breast cancer
- Promotes hair growth in premenopausal years.
What Are The Side Effects Of Estrogen?
The most common side effects of estrogen are:
Nausea / vomiting / dizziness.
Weight gain (or) loss.
Sometimes severe ( but rare) side effects are:
Mental / mood changes.
Unusual vaginal bleeding.
Increased vaginal itching (or) irritation.
Yellowing of eyes/skin.
Please consult a physician if the symptoms are persistent.
What Are The Contraindications Of Estrogen?
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Hyper sensitivity towards the drug estrogen or any other allergies.
- Liver disease, kidney disease.
- Blood clotting disorders, high blood pressure.
- Lupus, high cholesterol.
- Seizures, cancer