What Are The Uses Of Fluorouracil?
Fluorouracil is used for the treatment of pre-cancerous or cancerous growths on the skin. The medication blocks the abnormal cell growth which causes the skin cancer and also prevents it from spreading. Fluorouracil is used in the treatment of breast, stomach, colon, rectal or pancreatic cancer.
What Are The Side Effects Of Fluorouracil?
Patients using Fluorouracil may experience common side effects such as:
- Irritation or itching or the skin
- Burning or redness
- Dryness or pain
- Tenderness or swelling
- Change in the colour of skin in the area of application
- Eye irritation
- Temporary hair loss
Serious but rare side effects:
- Abdominal or stomach pain
- Bloody diarrhoea
- Trouble breathing
- Fever, chills, sore throat
- Mouth sores
- Easy bruising or bleeding
If you experience any of these symptoms or they persist or become worse, consult your doctor immediately.
What Are The Contraindications Of Fluorouracil?
Inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Liver or kidney disease
- Suffering from an enzyme deficiency
- Suffering from any type of cancer or using cancer medications
- Pregnant or breastfeeding
- Suffering from irritated, red or open sores on the skin