What Are The Uses Of Glimepiride?
Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus
Glimepiride is used to control high blood sugar in people with type 2 diabetes. Controlling high blood sugar also helps in preventing kidney damage, loss of limbs, blindness, nerve problems, and sexual function problems, heart attack/ stroke. Glimepiride lowers blood sugar by causing the release of body's natural insulin.
What Are The Side Effects Of Glimepiride?
Inform you doctor immediately if you experience any of the following:
- Severe skin rashes, redness, itching, or irritation
- Numbness or tingly feeling
- Pale skin, fever, easy bruising or bleeding
- Trouble breathing
- Feeling like you might pass out, unusual weakness
- Upper stomach pain, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes)
- Clay-coloured stools; Dark urine
- Nausea, vomiting, feeling restless or irritable, loss of appetite, confusion, hallucinations, seizure, muscle pain or weakness.
What Are The Contraindications Of Glimepiride?
Pl. inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions, before you start taking glimepiride:
- Liver Problems, Kidney Disease, Recent Operation,
- Breastfeeding mothers,
- Pituitary Hormone Deficiency,
- Addison's Disease,
- Hepatic Porphyria,
- Haemolytic Anaemia, Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase (G6PD) Deficiency Anaemia,
- Habit of Drinking Too Much Alcohol