What Are The Uses Of Heparin?
Heparin is used in the treatment of blood clots in conditions:
- Pulmonary embolism (blood clots in lungs)
- Arterial thromboembolism (blood clots in artery)
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
What Are The Side Effects Of Heparin?
The common side effects of heparin are:
- Pain / redness / irritation at injection site.
Some severe (but less common) side effects are:
- Prolonged bleeding at sites of injury
- Nose bleeds
- Prolonged/unusual menstrual periods
- Black stools
- Dark urine
- A severe headache, unusual dizziness
Please consult a physician if the symptoms are persistent.
What Are The Contraindications Of Heparin?
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Hypersensitivity towards the drug heparin or any other allergies.
- High blood pressure, uncontrollable bleeding
- Heart problems, liver diseases
- Cancer, bleeding disorders
- Recent surgery