What Are The Uses Of Imatinib?
Imatinib, a chemotherapy drug, is used for treating cancers of various types, like:
- Acute lymphoblastic leukaemia
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumors
- Chronic myeloid leukaemia
- Myeloproliferative/ Myelodysplastic diseases (cancer in bone marrow)
What Are The Side Effects Of Imatinib?
Some of the common side effects include:
- Upset stomach
- Nausea/vomiting, drowsiness
- Muscle cramps, muscle/joint pain
- Dizziness, Headache
- Blurred vision
- Lowered immunity
Serious side effects could be:
- Unusual tiredness
- Easy bleeding/ bruising
- Unexplained/sudden weight gain
- Swelling in around the eyes, ankles/feet/ hands, abdomen
- Fast heartbeat, shortness of breath
- Symptoms of liver disease
- Bloody or black stools
Please consult a physician if the symptoms are persistent.
What Are The Contraindications Of Imatinib?
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Bleeding problems
- Heart problems like heart failure
- Liver disease
- Thyroid gland removal
- Kidney disease