What Are The Uses Of Leucovorin calcium?
Leucovorin calcium, also known as folinic acid, is used to reduce or diminish:
- The toxic effects of high dose methotrexate therapy in osteosarcoma (a type of bone cancer)
- The toxicity of inadvertent overdose of folic acid antagonists
- The effects of impaired methotrexate elimination
It is also used for:
- The treatment of megaloblastic anaemias due to the folic acid deficiency in those cases where oral therapy is not feasible.
- Prolonging the survival in the palliative treatment of patients with advanced colorectal cancer (in combination with 5-fluorouracil).
What Are The Side Effects Of Leucovorin calcium?
Some of the common side-effects of Leucovorin calcium are:
What Are The Contraindications Of Leucovorin calcium?
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Allergy to folic acid or folinic acid
- Vitamin B12 deficiency