What Are The Uses Of Mannitol?
Mannitol is a type of sugar alcohol. It is used as a sweetener and alternative for sugar for diabetes patients and also as medication. It:
- Reduce pressure in eyes (glaucoma), increased intracranial pressure.
- Treats kidney failure with low urine output, fluid build-up
- Increases the elimination of toxins
- Acts as osmotic laxative
- Used in the diagnosis of exercise-induced asthma, cardiopulmonary bypass as circuit prime.
What Are The Side Effects Of Mannitol?
Some common side effects that may be caused by the administration of mannitol are:
Please consult a physician if the symptoms are persistent.
What Are The Contraindications Of Mannitol?
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Hypersensitivity towards the drug mannitol or any other allergies.
- Anuria (non-passage of urine)
- Congestive heart failure