What Are The Uses Of Menthol?
Menthol is derived from pennyroyal, eucalyptus, and peppermint. It has many health benefits and is used both topically as well as take orally. Some uses of menthol are:
- Pain reliever (in case of minor pains from arthritis or other reasons)
- Treats gastrointestinal problems like bloating, gas, irritable bowel syndrome, colic and indigestion
- Relieve inflammation and itching caused due to hives and dermatitis (topical use)
- Treats asthma, cold, flu, bronchitis and other respiratory problems (oral intake)
The above list is only indicative, not exhaustive.
What Are The Side Effects Of Menthol?
Some of the common side effects are:
- Skin irritation, allergic reactions and rashes (in case of topical use)
- Burning sensation or worsened gastrointestinal pain(in case of oral use)
What Are The Contraindications Of Menthol?
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Bile-duct obstruction, liver damage
- Gallstones, gallbladder inflammation
- Acid reflux
- Blood pressure