What Are The Uses Of Mesalazine?
Mesalazine is an anti-inflammatory drug used:
- To maintain remission in Crohn’s disease, which is gastrointestinal Inflammatory Bowel Disease, including inflamed rectum or anus, ulcerative colitis.
- As a rectal suppository.
- As enema for lower bowel conditions.
What Are The Side Effects Of Mesalazine?
The common side effects are:
Gastrointestinal issues like nausea, diarrhoea and stomach ache:
- Headache, rash, itching
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Liver problems
- Myocarditis, pericarditis
- Allergic lung reactions
In some instances, hair fall has also been reported but all are reversible on withdrawal of usage.
What Are The Contraindications Of Mesalazine?
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Liver or kidney problems
- Bleeding disorders
- Active stomach ulcer disease
- Pregnant or breastfeeding.