What Are The Uses Of Nitazoxanide?
Nitazoxanide is used for treating various infections caused by:
- Helminths (parasitic worms)
Diarrhoea caused by the protozoa Cryptosporidium or Giardia is treated by Nitazoxanide. Protozoa may be the cause of diarrhoea lasting more than 7 days. Nitazoxanide is a broad spectrum antiviral and anti-parasitic drug.
What Are The Side Effects Of Nitazoxanide?
Nitazoxanide doesn’t usually cause any side effect when taken by a healthy individual. However, some people may experience:
- Headache, vomiting
- Stomach pain, upset stomach
- Excessive urination, discoloured urine
- Flu syndrome, skin rash, fever, itching
What Are The Contraindications Of Nitazoxanide?
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease
- A weak immune system like HIV infection