What Are The Uses Of Octreotide?
Octreotide, an octapeptide, is used in the treatment of following conditions:
- To treat tumors such as acromegaly, pituitary tumors etc.
- To treat hormone producing tumors
- Neck and face reddening occurring suddenly due to above tumors.
- Used in the management of gastro intestinal fistulae, severe diarrhea.
What Are The Side Effects Of Octreotide?
The most common side effects of Octreotide are:
- Nausea/vomiting/dizziness, head ache.
- Diarrhoea, Bloating
- Skin reactions.
Sometimes severe (but rare) side effects are:
- Cardiac conduction changes.
- Gall stones.
- Gastro intestinal reactions.
- Slow heart rate.
- Anaphylactic reactions.
Please consult a physician if the symptoms are persistent.
What Are The Contraindications Of Octreotide?
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Hyper sensitivity towards the drug octreotide or any other allergies.
- Kidney disease, liver diseases.
- Thyroid problems, diabetes.
- Gall bladder problems.