What Are The Uses Of Penicillamine?
Penicillamine is a disease-modifying antirheumatic drug (DMARD). It is used in the treatment of following conditions:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Wilson’s disease (high levels of copper in body cause damage to body organs)
- Pain/ tenderness/swelling of joints
- Cystinuria (kidney stones)
What Are The Side Effects Of Penicillamine?
Some common side effects that are caused due to the administration of Penicillamine are:
- Nausea, vomiting
- Stomach/abdominal pain, diarrhea
- Loss of appetite, decreased taste in mouth
Please consult a physician if the symptoms are persistent.
What Are The Contraindications Of Penicillamine?
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Hypersensitivity towards the drug Penicillamine or any other allergies.
- Thrombocytopenia (low amount of platelets in blood)
- Kidney disease
- Aplastic anemia (bone marrow stops producing new cells)
- Agranulocytosis (blood disorder)