What Are The Uses Of Penicillin?
Penicillin is a group of antibiotics which includes:
- Penicillin G
- Penicillin V
- Procaine Penicillin
- Benzathine Penicillin
Penicillins are Beta-lactam antibiotics and were the first medications found effective against bacterial infection caused by staphylococci and streptococci. These are widely used due to their antibacterial properties.
What Are The Side Effects Of Penicillin?
Some of the common side effects are:
- Nausea, rashes, diarrhea
- Urticaria, neurotoxicity
- Superinfections such as candidiasis
Rarely seen side effects includes:
- Vomiting, seizure
- Erythema, dermatitis
- Angioedema, anaphylaxis
- Fever, pain, and inflammation at the site of injection if given intravenously.
Overdose can cause metabolic acidosis, hyperkalemia, and hypokalemia.
Please consult your doctor if any of the symptoms occur.
What Are The Contraindications Of Penicillin?
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Pregnancy or lactation, using birth control pills
- Diabetes, renal failure, any intestinal disorder
- Cardiovascular disease, any blood disorder