What Are The Uses Of Pilocarpine hydrochloride?
Pilocarpine hydrochloride is a cholinergic agonist. It is used both as an oral drug and as a topical ophthalmic drug in the treatment of following conditions:
- Symptoms of dry mouth caused due to a certain immune disease such as Sjogren’s syndrome
- Increased pressure in eye, ocular hypertension caused due to open-angle glaucoma
- Reverse the effects of any drug used for enlarging pupil (e.g. for eye test)
This drug may also be used during an eye surgery.
What Are The Side Effects Of Pilocarpine hydrochloride?
Some common side effects that may occur after taking pilocarpine hydrochloride are:
- A runny nose, dizziness
- Sweating, flushing, nausea
- Blurred vision
- Diarrhoea, weakness, urge to urinate frequently
Please consult a physician if the symptoms are persistent.
What Are The Contraindications Of Pilocarpine hydrochloride?
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Hypersensitivity towards the drug pilocarpine hydrochloride or any other allergies.
- Asthma, chronic bronchitis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD)
- Acute iritis (injury to eye), narrow-angle glaucoma, night blindness
- Blood pressure, heart attack, heart failure
- Gall bladder disease, liver disease
- Mental / mood changes
- Kidney disease, stomach problems