What Are The Uses Of Selenomethionine?
Selenomethionine is a naturally occurring amino acid majorly found in grain cereals, Brazil nuts, grassland legumes, and soybeans. It is given as a supplement to:
- Promote heart health, liver health, immunity
- Prevent colon cancer
- Treat chemotherapy toxicity, cataracts, diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, autoimmune thyroiditis (immune system attacks thyroid gland), hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid), rheumatoid arthritis, stroke, macular degeneration (disease that cause loss of vision), benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) ( non-cancerous enlargement of prostate gland), osteoarthritis, avian flu ( a type of influenza infection mainly in birds), swine flu, HIV, allergic rhinitis, chronic fatigue syndrome, mood disorders, abnormal pap smears (cervical cells problem).
What Are The Side Effects Of Selenomethionine?
Selenomethionine is usually safe, but in some cases like an overdose, it may cause side effects such as:
- Nausea, vomiting
- Nail changes, abdominal pain
- Irritability, weight loss, fatigue, alopecia
Please consult a physician if the symptoms are persistent.
What Are The Contraindications Of Selenomethionine?
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Hypersensitivity towards selenomethionine or any other allergies.
- Currently using contraceptives
- Bleeding disorders