What Are The Uses Of Sodium hydroxide?
Sodium hydroxide is also called as caustic soda which is a co-product of chlorine. It is widely used in various industries. It is used in:
- Food processing industry for peeling fruits and vegetables.
- Processes to make products like soaps rayon, plastics, and textiles.
- Revitalizing acids in petroleum refining
- Papermaking process, etching aluminum, removal of paint
- Dehorning of cattle
- Used in relaxers to help straighten hair. However, the usage for straightening hair is reducing because of the possibility of chemical burns.
What Are The Side Effects Of Sodium hydroxide?
Some common side effects that may be caused by the administration of sodium hydroxide are:
- Skin irritation, burns
- Eye irritation
Please consult a physician if the symptoms are persistent.
What Are The Contraindications Of Sodium hydroxide?
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Hypersensitivity towards sodium hydroxide or any other allergies.