What Are The Uses Of Sodium phosphate?
Sodium phosphate is a saline laxative which increases fluid in small intestine resulting in bowel movements hence it is used to relieve constipation occasionally. This is prescribed majorly before surgery or certain bowel procedures such as colonoscopy, radiography.
It is also used as an emulsifier or thickening agent and leavening agent in baked foods.
What Are The Side Effects Of Sodium phosphate?
Some common side effects that may be caused by the administration of sodium phosphate are:
- Nausea, mild abdominal cramps
- Gas, abdominal discomfort
Please consult a physician if the symptoms are persistent.
What Are The Contraindications Of Sodium phosphate?
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Hypersensitivity towards the drug sodium phosphate or any other allergies.
- Dehydration, low levels of minerals in blood
- Kidney/heart diseases
- Chest pain, ulcerative colitis