What Are The Uses Of Sodium Valproate?
This medication is used to treat following diseases:
It works by reducing the excessive electrical activity in the brain and thus helps in preventing the epileptic fits.
What Are The Side Effects Of Sodium Valproate?
Some of the common side-effects may be:
- Nausea, vomiting
- Abdominal disorders, gas
- Hair loss
- Drowsiness, Weakness, Dizziness
Consult your doctor if any of the following rare, but severe side effects occurs:
- Liver problems
- Low blood platelets
- Decrease in body temperature
- Encephalopathy (Brain disorder)
- Suicidal behaviour and thoughts
- Allergic reactions like rashes, blisters, redness.
NOTE: Use of valproate during pregnancy can increases the risk of birth defects in foetus.
What Are The Contraindications Of Sodium Valproate?
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Pregnant or planning for pregnancy, breast feeding
- Liver disorders
- Blood disorders
- Urea cycle disorders