What Are The Uses Of Somatostatin?
Somatostatin is a peptide hormone that regulates endocrine system and nerve transmission. It is also known as growth hormone-inhibiting hormone. It is used in the treatment of following conditions:
- Acromegaly (disorder of pituitary gland)
- Carcinoid tumors (slow-growing cancerous tumor)
- Bleeding oesophageal varices (abnormal veins in the lower part of the esophagus)
- Tumors secreting vasoactive intestinal peptide
- Glucagonomas (a rare type of tumor in pancreas)
- Various pituitary adenomas
What Are The Side Effects Of Somatostatin?
Some common side effects that may occur after taking somatostatin are:
- Abdominal pain, increased glucose levels in blood
- Diarrhoea, headache, flatulence
- Constipation, gallstones
- Injection site reactions such as pain/swelling/irritation
Please consult a physician if the symptoms are persistent.
What Are The Contraindications Of Somatostatin?
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Hypersensitivity towards the drug somatostatin or any other allergies.
- Cancer, breathing problems, eye problems
- Pregnancy, breastfeeding
- Diabetic retinopathy