What Are The Uses Of Theophylline?
Primary uses of Theophylline are in respiratory diseases like:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Infant apnea (breathing problem in premature infant)
- Bronchitis (inflammation of the bronchial tubes)
- Emphysema (damaged and enlarged sac of lungs).
What Are The Side Effects Of Theophylline?
Theophylline can cause mild side effects like stomach pain, diarrhoea, upset stomach, headache, sweating, sleep problems (insomnia), feeling restless & nervous.
Severe, but less common, side effects of Theophylline includes following complications:
- Severe or continued vomiting
- Sporadic heartbeats
- Seizure (convulsions)
- Tremors or shaking;
- Low potassium
- High blood sugar
What Are The Contraindications Of Theophylline?
Theophylline is contraindicated in medical conditions such as liver problems, unknown toxicity, overactive thyroid gland, high blood pressure, heart attack & chronic heart failure and stomach ulceration.
Do not take Theophylline if you are addict of tobacco, cannabis and alcohol. These substances may show some reactions with Theophylline.