What Are The Uses Of Tibolone?
Tibolone mimics the activities of female sex hormones and exhibits similar effects.
Tibolone is widely used as endometriosis (appearance of endometrial tissue outside the uterus resulting in pain in pelvis), hormone replacement therapy in post-menopausal women and osteoporosis.
Tibolone is also used to treat estrogen-withdrawal symptoms such as hot flushes, sweating, insomnia, headache, and vaginal dryness.
What Are The Side Effects Of Tibolone?
Some of the common side effects of Tibolone are:
- Pain in the lower abdomen
- Increased weight
- Unusual hair growth
- Breast tenderness
- Redness and itching in the vagina, vaginal bleeding and spotting.
What Are The Contraindications Of Tibolone?
Consult the doctor before using Tibolone in medical conditions like:
- Pregnancy and lactation
- Breast cancer or history of breast cancer
- Endometrial cancer or history of endometrial cancer (cancer or uterus)
- Genital bleeding
- Any kind of heart or cardiovascular disease
- Short term liver disease
- Abnormal metabolism of the blood pigment hemoglobin (Porphyria).