What Are The Uses Of Tocilizumab?
Tocilizumab is an immunosuppressive drug, also known as atlizumab. It is a humanized monoclonal antibody is used in the treatment of following conditions:
- Rheumatoid arthritis (autoimmune disorder that affects joints)
- Systemic juvenile idiopathic arthritis (arthritis in children)
- Castle man’s disease (rare benign tumor of B-cells)
- Giant cell arteritis (inflammatory disease of blood vessels)
- Neuromyelitis Optica (simultaneous inflammation and demyelination of optic nerve)
- Cytokine release syndrome (adverse effect of some monoclonal antibody drugs)
What Are The Side Effects Of Tocilizumab?
Some common side effects that may occur due to the administration of tocilizumab are:
- Common cold
- Upper respiratory tract infections
- Hypertension, headache
- Injection site reactions such as pain/ swelling/irritation
Please consult a physician if the symptoms are persistent.
What Are The Contraindications Of Tocilizumab?
Please inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Hypersensitivity towards the drug tocilizumab or any other allergies.
- Current acute infections, tuberculosis